Tuesday, February 12, 2008

New Blog!

So this is my first blog. I'm going to be learning Ruby on Rails 2.0 so I thought I might start up a blog to document the whole process, maybe help out someone else in the process.

So a quick google tells me that there are several others having my same problem:
PAUSE: while typing this I notice that if you don't capitalize 'google' blogger tells me that it is misspelled - it seems that google(who owns blogger.com) wouldn't mind the name of their company falling under the category of common noun, but back to the problem:

Rails 2.0 was just released, and while there are some excellent resources for beginners to Rails(Agile Web Development with Rails), they are mostly pre-2.0, and due to some of the major changes, will not work. So the choices at this point to newcomers to Rails:

1) Downgrade to an older version and use one of the tutorials.
2) Stick with 2.0 and work through the old tutorials, using internet resources to fix things broken by 2.0
3) Scour the internet for the few 2.0 tutorials for beginners.

I'm going to go with option 3. I'll be posting resources, screenshots, and anything else that I find useful in my journey. Feel free to leave comments if you have any questions, suggestions, or corrections.

Oh, and welcome to Rails on Edge!

No comments: